AscendBio in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, enables companies in the industrial biotech and agritech sectors to scale up their technologies and business operations. This is possible thanks to the Verschuren Centre’s scientific and technical expertise and infrastructure, along with Innovacorp’s sector expertise, business support and international networks.
The AscendBio Advantage
Companies that join the AscendBio program receive support to achieve technical milestones, raise the capital required, garner market insight, connect with potential customers and partners and join a community of like-minded companies. They can grow faster and typically require less capital.
We have identified the success factors that make this possible. Through the efforts of the Verschuren Centre and Innovacorp, your experience at AscendBio will be tailored to meet the needs of your start-up:
- Specialized equipment suitable for commercial-scale development and demonstrations
- Scientific and technical expertise in fields such as chemical engineering, microbiology, pilot design, process engineering, biochemistry, fermentation, polymer science and organic chemistry
- A collaborative and agile approach to product and process development
- The ability to maintain full ownership of intellectual property
- A rolling intake process that doesn’t leave anyone out
- Access to non-dilutive capital from provincial and federal governments
- Feedstock (i.e., marine, forestry and industrial inputs)
- A network of strategic partners, customers, research collaborators, investors
- Land and industrial space to grow
- Access to talent from one of Nova Scotia’s many post-secondary institutions
- Visa support through the Start-Up Visa Program
Is AscendBio for your company?
Are you helping to address one of the world’s biggest sustainability challenges: mitigating climate change or feeding the world’s growing population? At AscendBio, clients from across the globe are piloting innovations related to disease detection, crop biostimulation and protection, and sustainable ingredients for industry to replace petroleum-based products and more.
Are you beyond the early stage and have strong customer-focused milestones? Maybe you have past start-up experience or have graduated from an accelerator, raised some early financing, and are focused on scaling the business? If this sounds like your company, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
So far, more than 15 companies have experienced the AscendBio advantage. Together they raised $15 million in a year and continue to grow, with a combined valuation of $43 million. To learn more about our AscendBio companies, click here.
About the Verschuren Centre
The Verschuren Centre for Sustainability in Energy and the Environment is facilitating the transition to a green and circular economy through supporting innovative clean technology commercialization. The centre has established teams of expertise in key areas to assist companies advance IP and accelerate uptake in manufacturing and primary production industries. Areas of specialty include industrial and agritech bioprocessing, carbon and polymer materials, thermal energy transitioning and storage and climate mitigation in aquaculture.
Innovacorp is Nova Scotia’s early stage venture capital organization. It finds, funds and fosters innovative Nova Scotia start-ups that strive to change the world. The organization provides entrepreneurs with access to venture capital, incubation facilities, expert advice and other support to help them commercialize their technologies, accelerate their companies, and succeed in the global marketplace. Target industries include information technology, life sciences, clean technology and ocean technology.