Innovacorp is seeking analytical, results-oriented and positive individuals for the roles of investment analyst and associate focused on life sciences or other deep technology sectors. (We’ve combined the opportunities into one career posting because they have so much in common. The role for you depends on your experience and skills level.)
If you are a relationship-builder whose knowledge of technology and passion for entrepreneurship can help evaluate and support start-ups, we would love to hear from you.
Innovacorp is Nova Scotia's early stage venture capital organization. We find, fund and foster innovative Nova Scotia start-ups that strive to change the world. Our goal is to help those companies commercialize their technologies and succeed in the global marketplace. Target industries include life sciences, clean technology, ocean technology and industrial biotechnology.
Early stage investment is at the core of our business model. We also give entrepreneurs access to world-class incubation facilities, expert advice and other support to help accelerate their companies.
Innovacorp’s investment team is made up of people who believe in straight talk, healthy debate, creative thinking, and shaking up old practices. We are passionate about the companies we work with and are driven to help them succeed. We believe in active involvement in the local start-up community.
Under the direction of the vice president of investment and working closely with the team, the investment analyst and associate help generate deal flow and provide support in all aspects of potential and active investments. The analyst and associate work at both a strategic and detailed level on research, diligence, analysis, executing transactions and assisting portfolio companies.
- Performs detailed business and scientific analysis and summary reporting, and provides advice to address clients' challenges and opportunities
- Prospects and assesses new technologies and companies, building a pipeline of qualified potential investments
- Performs activities related to the investment review, approval and closing cycle, including screening opportunities, analysis, due diligence and contributing to investment recommendations
- Raises Innovacorp’s profile in the marketplace and the venture capital, business and academic communities
- Performs general administrative, documentation, reporting and other support for the investment team
- Strong research, scientific and analytical skills
- Efficient, organized, detail-oriented, and self-starting
- Advanced computer skills (Excel and PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and presentation skills
- Ability to work well in a climate of deadlines, variety, pressure and complexity
- Working knowledge of the venture capital process
- Commercially focused approach to opportunity development and problem solving
- Confidence to operate in the business community and public sector, developing relationships and building respect in all dealings
- Ability to engage targeted and broad audiences
- Exposure to structuring relationships and transactions, financial and legal documentation, and other business procedures
- General knowledge of one of the following sectors: life sciences, clean technology, ocean technology, industrial biotechnology, and an ongoing proactive awareness of technology developments
Education and Experience
- Degree in science or business, with two to five years of related experience (advanced degree in science preferred)
- Experience in financial analysis and modeling and working with a CRM system would be an asset
- Experience at a venture capital firm or in an operating role at a start-up would be desirable
We consider ourselves a client and employee-centric organization and care deeply about the work we do, guided by our values of respect, integrity, cooperation and excellence. Other reasons you would want to join us for this great opportunity include flexible work arrangements, comprehensive health and dental benefits, and of course the opportunity to work with a team committed to supporting amazing entrepreneurs and companies!
Innovacorp is committed to cultivating a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion, and to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. We value and promote equal employment opportunities consistent with the standards outlined in the Nova Scotia Human Rights Act. We encourage candidates to let us know in their cover letter if they are a member of a traditionally underrepresented group and if they need any accommodations during the recruitment process.
Work will be mostly remote initially, with a hybrid in-person/virtual model anticipated for when the pandemic abates.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by midnight on Saturday, March 12, 2022, via email to email@example.com and include Competition # 2022-02 in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about Innovacorp, visit www.innovacorp.ca.