Innovacorp is seeking an energetic, analytical, results-oriented and entrepreneurial individual for the role of investment analyst (co-op placement) in Halifax.
Innovacorp is Nova Scotia’s early stage venture capital organization. It works to find, fund and foster innovative Nova Scotia start-ups that strive to change the world. The goal is to help those start-ups commercialize their technologies and succeed in the global marketplace. Target industries include information technology, life sciences, clean technology and ocean technology.
Early stage investment is at the core of Innovacorp’s business model. The team also gives entrepreneurs access to world-class incubation facilities, expert advice and other support to help accelerate their companies. Innovacorp’s vision is that this region will become one of the top 10 start-up ecosystems in the world.
Innovacorp’s investment team is made up of people who believe in straight talk, thinking outside the box and shaking up old practices. We are passionate about the companies we work with and helping them succeed. And we are honoured to live the Innovacorp values of Respect, Integrity, Cooperation and Excellence every day.
Under the direction of the vice president of investment and working closely with the whole team, the investment analyst will help with deal flow and provide support in all aspects of potential and active investments. The analyst will work with the team at both a strategic and detailed level on research, diligence, analysis, and executing transactions to assist portfolio companies.
- Conducts research and performs detailed business analysis and summary reporting.
- Prospects and assesses new companies, helping build a pipeline of qualified potential investments.
- Performs activities associated with the investment review, approval and closing cycle, including screening opportunities, analysis, due diligence and recommendations for investment.
- Raises Innovacorp’s profile in the marketplace and in the venture capital, business and academic communities.
- Performs general administrative, documentation, reporting and other support for the investment team.
- General working knowledge of the venture capital process
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Financial analysis; modeling experience an asset
- Ability to work well in a climate of deadlines, variety, pressure and complexity
- Confidence to operate in the business and public sector communities, developing relationships and building respect in all dealings
- Broad knowledge of the technology sectors and an ongoing proactive awareness of technology developments
- Understanding of the dynamics of small business
- Commercially focused approach to opportunity development and problem-solving
- Strong communications (written and oral) and presentation skills
- Ability to engage specific and broad audiences
- Experience in one or more of the following areas would be considered an asset: information technology, life sciences, clean technology and ocean technology; financial services, venture financing, or an operational role at a start-up; and/or exposure to structuring relationships and transactions, financial and legal documentation, banking, and other business procedures
Education and Experience
- Pursuing or completed a post-secondary degree in business and/or science
- Pursuing or completed a professional designation/degree (CFA, CMA, MBA) would be an asset
NOTE: This is a fully remote, term position beginning September 8, 2020, and ending December 18, 2020.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by 5:00 pm, Tuesday, August 25, 2020, via email to email@example.com, and include the position title “Investment Analyst Co-op Placement” in the subject line.
Innovacorp is committed to being a workplace that promotes an inclusive, culturally competent workforce that values diversity. We are aware of, sensitive to, and appreciative of all our differences, and ensure all job applicants and employees are treated fairly and equitably. This means no person is denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to their ability to do their job.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about Innovacorp, visit www.innovacorp.ca.
This opportunity was posted on August 16, 2020.