Innovacorp is seeking an energetic, results-oriented and entrepreneurial individual for the role of life sciences investment analyst at our corporate office in Halifax.
Innovacorp is Nova Scotia’s early stage venture capital organization. It works to find, fund and foster innovative Nova Scotia start-ups that strive to change the world. The goal is to help those start-ups commercialize their technologies and succeed in the global marketplace. Target industries include information technology, life sciences, clean technology and ocean technology.
Early stage investment is at the core of Innovacorp’s business model. The team also gives entrepreneurs access to world-class incubation facilities, expert advice and other support to help accelerate their companies. Innovacorp’s vision is that this region will become one of the top 10 start-up ecosystems in the world.
Innovacorp’s investment team is made up of people who believe in straight talk, creative thinking, and shaking up old practices. We are passionate about the companies we work with and helping them succeed. We believe in active involvement in the local start-up community.
Under the direction of the vice president of investment and working closely with the team, the investment analyst will help generate deal flow and provide support in all aspects of potential and active investments. The analyst will work at both a strategic and detailed level on research, diligence, analysis, executing transactions and assisting portfolio companies.
• Performs detailed business and scientific analysis and summary reporting, and provides advice to address clients' challenges and opportunities
• Prospects and assesses new technologies and companies, building a pipeline of qualified potential investments
• Provides input and perspective into the opportunity development process and assists the investment team with reviews
• Performs activities associated with the investment review, approval and closing cycle, including screening opportunities, analysis, due diligence and recommendations for investment
• Raises Innovacorp’s profile in the marketplace and in the venture capital, business and academic communities
• Performs general administrative, documentation, reporting and other support for the investment team
• Strong science background and quantitative skills
• Efficient and detail-oriented
• High degree of initiative and problem-solving abilities
• Ability to work well in a climate of deadlines, variety, pressure and complexity
• Broad general knowledge of the life sciences sectors and an ongoing awareness of technology developments, particularly related to medical technologies, therapeutics and digital health
• Working knowledge of the venture capital process
• Passion for entrepreneurship
• Commercially focused approach to opportunity development and problem solving
• Confidence to operate in the business and public sector communities, developing relationships and building respect in all dealings
• Excellent communications (written and oral) and presentation skills
• Experience in financial analysis and modeling, venture financing, or an operating role at a start-up would be an asset
• Exposure to structuring relationships and transactions, financial and legal documentation, banking, and other business procedures
Education and Experience
• A life sciences-related degree (B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A.Sc., M.Eng., or equivalent), with at least two years of related business experience
• Professional designation/degree or in pursuit of one (MBA) would be an asset
• Experience with a CRM system would be an asset
Innovacorp is committed to being a workplace that promotes an inclusive, culturally competent workforce that values diversity. We are aware of, sensitive to, and appreciative of all our differences, and ensure all job applicants and employees are treated fairly and equitably. This means no person is denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to their ability to do their job.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by midnight on Friday, September 20, 2019, via email to email@example.com, and include the position title in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about Innovacorp, visit www.innovacorp.ca.